Monday, July 13, 2015

Wrestling Isn't Wrestling

I've been a fan of professional wrestling since I was about 10 years old. A buddy came to my house with a VHS tape that he recorded 1996's Halloween Havoc on. This was my first real exposure to pro wrestling and what an event to start with! Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Dean Malenko for the Cruiserweight Championship, DDP vs. Eddy Guerrero, Chris Jericho vs. Syxx, Steve "Mongo" McMichael and Chris Benoit vs The Faces of Fear, and The Outsiders vs. Harlem Heat for the Tag Team Championships?! The event ends with the return of "Rowdy" Roddy Piper following the Heavyweight title match between Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

Before that, the only bit of wrestling I ever saw was a match between Bam Bam Bigelow and Doink the Clown while channel surfing when I was much younger. I remember wondering who this large man with flames on his head was and why he was fighting a clown. Doink the Clown cheated by spraying Bigelow in the face with a green mist and I was traumatized, thinking Bam Bam would be blinded for life.

I've loved wrestling for nearly two decades now and while I don't watch as much of it as I used to, I still try to keep up on everything that's going on in the world of pro wrestling. Earlier this year, Max Landis posted a video on YouTube that affectionately pokes fun of and examines professional wrestling through Triple H's career. Check out the video below, it is BRILLIANT and absolutely hilarious.