Sunday, January 6, 2013

R.I.P. PlayStation 2 (2000-2012)



Sony recently announced that production has officially ceased on all PlayStation 2 consoles worldwide. I'm sure many gamers and nerds the world over have mourned the loss of the console in their own way. Definitely one of my favorite systems, I have many fond (...and some not so fond) memories of the console myself. When I lived in San Francisco, I slept outside of the Metreon one night hoping to get one but they didn't have "enough stock" for everyone in line.

[For those of you who don't know, the Metreon was originally a mall owned by Sony that was designed to display Sony products as well as provide entertainment such as movie, music, and dining. They sold to Westfield in 2006 and has since become more like a traditional mall.]

Needless to say, I was severely disappointed and had to wait weeks before I finally got one. Another reason this console is very special to me is because I lined up outside of Metreon with my sister, who passed away from lung cancer about 2 years ago. Whenever I think about this console, I'll always remember how much this console meant to the both of us. Of course, the PlayStation 3 has been out for awhile now and it even plays Blu-ray movies. I have plans to get a PS3 in the future because it plays Blu-ray but for now, I'm still playing my PS2 and lovin' it! 

In honor of the PS2, below is a random list of some of my favorite PS2 games in no particular order:

SSX (one of the first 3 games I owned!)
WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain
WWE Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare
Maximo
Maximo vs The Army of Zin
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick
Evil Dead: Regeneration
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Kingdom Hearts
Rampage: Total Destruction
Burnout 3: Takedown 
Rumble Racing
Twisted Metal: Black

Honorable Mentions:

Megaman X Collection
Metal Slug Anthology
Activision Anthology

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of them but if I named every game that I liked, this list would be way too long!!! What are some of your favorite PlayStation 2 games? Leave your Top 10 list in the comments section.