Thursday, January 10, 2013

CES: Qualcomm Pacific Rim Trailer



If you're a Kaiju and Mecha fan like I am, then you've probably been ALL over the Pacific Rim news as of late. The moment I heard that Guillermo Del Toro was directing a Hollywood budget movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, I started drooling on myself a little bit and got the weirdest boner.

Anyway, CES 2013 began with a keynote speaker from Qualcomm. For those of you who don't know, CES (Consumer Electronics Show) is the world's largest electronics tradeshow where companies gather to debut their latest tech, devices, and announce upcoming products. Qualcomm announced a new Snapdragon processor that will be able to process "Ultra HD", which is supposed to be 4x the quality of regular high definition. In fact, Qualcomm makes chips for most Android devices and other smartphones. Why is this important for my readers? Well, if you're a gamer, they're promising "This is console quality gaming on a mobile device," says keynote speaker Paul Jacobs.

During the whole presentation, they Guillermo Del Toro was invited on stage to debut a new trailer for his upcoming Mechas vs Kaiju Sci-Fi epic, Pacific Rim. Some new scenes cut in with old stuff from the other trailer, check it out here in HD:



On a semi-related note, I recently picked up a Sony Xperia Play 4G which uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 MSM8255 processor (one of their second generation processors) and it is one of the best things I've ever spent my money on! I'm using it as a dedicated retro gaming device and seriously couldn't be happier! (I will write another post on the device separately)