Sunday, December 16, 2012

nWo DVDs



I was recently walking through Walmart when I saw that there were some new WWE Home Videos re-released in 3-disc special editions that included extra footage.
They were Brock Lesnar's Here Comes the Pain! and nWo (now subtitled "The Revolution") both in a new 3-disc edition. This was followed by shortly by a new 3-disc release highlighting the "Attitude Era" in the WWF.
 I was in middle school and already a hardcore fan of wrestling by the time the "Attitude Era" started, which is probably the time that people remember the most fondly of the WWF when they finally overtook WCW in the ratings war. Even though I already owned a copy of the original Brock Lesnar and nWo Back in Black DVDs, I couldn't help but try my luck with the nWo since they were the guys that first got me into wrestling!
And so, here are some quick thoughts about the recent 3-disc release highlighting the nWo:

I definitely like this one better than the original "Back in Black" release. That one almost felt rushed because they were trying to get the fans hyped for the return of the nWo in WWE. This one is extended to cover their short run in the WWE along with a ton of bonus matches on discs 2 and 3. The bonus matches were nice because old wrestling footage can sometimes be hard to come by. Even though the documentary itself wasn't one of the better ones I've seen from the WWE, it's still a lot better than the Back in Black DVD because it took the time to dig a little deeper and highlight more of the nWo's history. Feuding with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, "Macho Man" Randy Savage joining the Black and White, Wolfpac, and much more. The matches were cool but I would've liked to have seen more nWo antics between the matches instead. I would rather see the brawls at the end of Nitro, where they jump other wrestlers or when people like Sting get the better of them. I remember them more of their antics outside of the ring than their matches inside of it.

What I felt this DVD was lacking was more memorable moments from the nWo. Even though this one covered some interesting moments, where was the part where The Giant got kicked out of the nWo? What about the "Finger poke of doom" incident between Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash? Followed by the unification of Wolfpac with the Black and White? This documentary dug a little deeper than the first one but there is still SO much ground to cover. They should've shown Curt Hennig (aka Mr. Perfect) turning on the Four Horseman and join nWo. They could've shown that one time a bunch of fake Stings marched into the ring and were getting tossed aside by the nWo until the REAL Sting came out with a mask over his face and dropped "Buff" Bagwell with the Scorpion Death Drop!!! So many classic moments... this barely scratches the surface.

Conclusion, this DVD had the potential to be SO much better but still wasn't bad. This was definitely better than the first release and this is probably the best we're going to get, so I'm pretty happy with it. For the $20 price tag though, I would say hold off even if you are a die hard wrestling fan. I'm pretty sure the price on this sucker is going to drop and it's really nothing that you MUST own immediately.

For me, this was just a little slice of nostalgia that I could enjoy for a bit. I should've picked up the Attitude Era DVD instead, just for something completely new. So that's going to be next up on my list along with the CM Punk's 3-disc release titled "Best in the World". Hoping for the price on those to drop!
Just an update on the original trio of the nWo, Hogan and Nash are both still wrestling or at least popping up in different promotions. Hogan was last with TNA wrestling and Nash made a return appearance in the WWE last year before appearing on the indy circuit with long time friends, Scott Hall and Sean Waltman (Syxx, X-pac). The saddest thing to report is that Scott Hall doesn't seem to be in the best of the shape. In fact, ESPN did this story on Scott Hall and his life since the spotlight.



I feel bad for the guy, I really do. I have a lot of respect for him. I guess I don't really know but the guy really seemed like a class act. Here's an older video of him appearing on Jerry Springer when he was still Razor Ramon in the WWF.